Enrol as a property owner

If you own property in a council or ward different to where you live, you may be eligible to vote in the council or ward where your property is located. This includes owners of:

  • holiday house
  • investment property
  • business premises

You can only vote once in each council or ward election even if you own multiple properties in the council or ward.

This means if your investment property is in the same area as where you live, you cannot vote twice in the same election.

Having a say as a property owner is important, as many of the services council offers affect the bills you pay and impact the condition of your property such as rates, footpaths and roads, and waste collection.

For example

Portrait photo of a student

Samira lives in Whyalla and owns an investment property she rents out in Port Lincoln. As a resident of Whyalla and sole owner of a rateable property in Port Lincoln, she is entitled to two votes for Whyalla City Council and City of Port Lincoln.

Sarah must register to be on both Whyalla City Council and City of Port Lincoln voters rolls.

Samira is entitled to two votes (one for herself in the Whyalla City Council election, one for her investment property in the City of Port Lincoln council election).

How to enrol

Enrolment for the 2022 council elections has closed.

Check your enrolment details by contacting the council you enrolled with, or Electoral Commission SA (ECSA) on 1300 655 232.

Key council election dates

What happens after I enrol?

Once you’re enrolled, sit back and relax. Electoral Commission SA (ECSA) will mail out your ballot pack (also called voting pack) once the nominations have been confirmed in.

However, there’s still more you can do.

If you are passionate about your neighbourhood and making a difference within your local community, why not become a candidate for your local council?

You may also be interested in

Was the information on this page useful?
What did you like about it? How can we make it better?